Monday, September 22, 2014

Congrats Pats


Created on 9/21/2014

I would like to congratulate Kaan, JP, and the New England Patriots on their victory over my Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.  Actually, this is an obligatory blog post stemming from a poorly executed bet on my part. 


Kaan and JP pointing to their site for the next 2 years (Swakopmund)

Here is how things went down.  After the Vikings routed the Rams in week 1, I received multiple emails from my friends back home expressing their excitement for the purple this year.  Without any hesitation, I drank every last drop of purple cool aid I could find.  I was high on the Vikings and man it felt good.  Early in the week, I confidently made a bet on the Vikings vs. Patriots game with Kaan and JP.  Kaan and JP are east coasters with a passion for Tom Brady and the always-exciting Patriots, something I can respect.  The bet I made with each was for 10 Namibian dollars and a congratulatory blog post to the winner(s).

This is not a mandatory detail of the bet but I would like to reference everyone to Kaan and JP’s blogs.  They both have entertaining insights about what we have been going through during PST that you may enjoy. 



This may be a good time to make everyone aware of the exchange rate between Namibian and American dollars.  $10 Namibian exchanges to roughly $1 American… So the $2 American I lost on the bet doesn’t seem like much but in terms of a percentage of our daily living allowance it is.  Without saying, my perception of monetary value has drastically changed during my time in Namibia. 

Communication from my biased friends and family in Minnesota is my only source of Vikings news and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  However, my sources were either reluctant to tell me that Adrian Peterson would not play vs. the Patriots or they simply could not relay the message across international borders in time.  Either way, I’m out 20 Nam dollars and the valuable moments of my life spent typing this post. 

In closing, I would like to make a few things clear.  If the Vikings had to get beat by any team in the NFL, I would want it to be the Patriots as they own a soft spot in my heart.  I have already consumed the purple cool aid this season and I can’t take it back nor would I want to.  I have learned my lesson and will refrain from betting on events that take place on a different continent.  At least until I have consistent internet access and can stream KFAN on demand.  Which will probably never happen.  Until then, please keep me updated on the status of MVPeterson. 

Last but not least, I want to congratulate Trent and Brianna on their wedding yesterday!  I am sure everyone had a fabulous time and I wish I could have been there.  When I return home it will be their 2-year anniversary and I will have their wedding gift in hand!  #BeautyAndTheBigDog

Cheers to Mr. & Mrs. Conroy!    
 

Disclaimer: The content of this website is mine alone and does not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Government, the Peace Corps, or the Namibian Government. 



No comments:

Post a Comment