Friday, June 12, 2015

The Learner


This is a story that I wanted to share with all of you. As I was composing an email to a friend, I began rambling about a conversation I had with one of my learners at school the other day. When I was proof reading the email, I realized that it was a story I would like to share with others and I guess that is what this blog is for. The following has been copy/pasted from the email with little editing. I hope you enjoy!

Created on 5/30/2015

It is crazy to think that over 10 months have passed since I arrived in Namibia. I have no perception of time anymore. I think about the past year and sometimes it feels like lifetimes and sometimes it feels like the blink of an eye.

At times I really miss home and I think that there is no way that I can go another 18 months without seeing all of you. I don’t miss the warm showers, big houses, clean bathrooms, easy transportation, 24/7 internet, media, radio, sports, or even the food. I miss the people, and that is it.

I would be on a plane home tomorrow if I didn’t truly enjoy my everyday life. Every day surprises me and I love that. I learn more about myself and people in general as every day passes. Teaching is an unbelievable challenge that tests my patience and forces me to adapt to every day. I have learned how simple life can be but also how difficult.

Being the only white person in a small village presents unique challenges. No matter what I do, someone is always watching me. I do not enjoy the feeling but I have become used to it. There is no way to go anywhere unnoticed by others. People will stare until I either greet them or wave. Everyone has a strong stereotype about Americans. The majority of people see the few possessions that I own and assume that I can buy whatever I want. People often ask about what I get paid or inquire about certain monetary values. I see their curiosity as an opportunity to teach but it’s not always that easy. It can be frustrating but I had a revelation this last week. Here is the conversation I had with a grade 10 learner…

“Sir, help me internet”
“There is no internet in the village”
“But you have a computer”
“I know but there is no network”
“Sir, what about the network on your phone?”

I take my Nokia Dinosaur phone (Yes, it has snake) out of my pocket and show it to him and say

“I do not have internet on this phone… I can barely make a call”
“Ooo… why do you not get a smart phone?”
“Because I don’t have money to buy a phone like that”
“But sir, you are rich”
“Haha I am not rich… I’m actually a poor man. Why do you think I am rich?”
 “Because you wear expensive watch and have computer and nice things”
“Yes I do have some nice things that I bought when I was in America but now I don’t have money anymore.” 

The learner disregarded my argument and continued thinking that I was a wealthy white man. As I was thinking about how I failed to convince my learner that I was a poor man I had an epiphany. Yes, technically, my net worth as an individual is negative in terms of US$. However, when I referred to myself as a poor man I thought about what I considered a poor man. A poor man is a person you see and you feel so bad for him that you say in a sympathetic tone “oh look at that poor man”. It is a man that is visibly sick, crippled, and/or alone. When I thought of it that way I instantly realized that my learner was spot on. Not in the way he was describing but in the way that I have come to view wealth. I am the exact opposite of sick, crippled, and alone. I can’t remember the last time I was sick and I’ll never become crippled as long as I don’t fall out of a tree. And most importantly, I have so many people in my life that I love and whom love me. On top of that, I am well educated and my native tongue is an international language. Both of which make me extremely adaptable and allow me to learn how to do anything. Yes, in fact, I am a rich man. But it took a grade 10 learner to help me realize it. I was trying to teach him something and in the end he taught me. 

I guess that’s how life works.

Disclaimer: The content of this website is mine alone and does not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Government, the Peace Corps, or the Namibian Government.   

1 comment: