Sunday, August 17, 2014

How it feels to hit the restart button…


Created on: 7/25/2014

In real life, not many people get the chance to tip forward out of their Nintendo chair and hit the restart button.  Nintendo allowed us that option; whether it is to erase an embarrassing defeat in Tecmo, try once more to master the original Mario Bros at a faster clip, or just simply begin a new game of RBI.  On July 21st, without intending to, I hit the restart button on real life.  Yes, this is a Nintendo metaphor so get on board.

It wasn’t something that I saw coming but rather blind-sided me, as I successfully developed zero expectations about this experience just like Peace Corps instructed.  I committed to taking my life in a different direction than most when I accepted an invitation from PC to spend 27 months in the country of Namibia.  I wanted to volunteer my time to improve the lives of others and my own, as I am selfishly aware of.  What I wasn’t aware of was the fact that I was starting over.  As I arrived in Okahandja on the night of July 23rd, I was with 48 other volunteers that I met the day before. We were being welcomed by a community of Namibians who are committed to providing us with all the game genie cheat codes needed to successfully pass the next 27 months of our lives.  All of my previous successes and failures have been erased and I stand at a moment in my life where I have the power to reinvent myself.

How do I describe this feeling?  People don’t have any past reference of who you are.  They don’t know a thing about you and you don’t know a thing about them.  They take you for what you are in that exact moment and you do the same.  At least until time passes and expectations begin to develop.  The one thing that can be assumed about the people around you is that you share a common interest, purpose, or calling.  All you can hope is for that bond to develop into a multiplayer game of Contra, where someone always has your back. 

Back home, I have a group of people that always have my back.  I consider my family and friends to be my greatest asset but how do they help me now and how do I help them?  It is a new game I’m playing in Namibia and all the people I love have disappeared since I hit restart.  I suppose now they can help me in different ways.  They can be the person in player chair #2 providing me with game strategy.  They can be my past experience that I look back on to help me through the new.  They can be that extra life that I may need in a moment of desperation.  And as I think ‘they can be’ I realize they already are.

Disclaimer: The content of this website is mine alone and does not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Government, the Peace Corps, or the Namibian Government. 

No comments:

Post a Comment