Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Welcome to Namibia!


When I submitted my Peace Corps application in June of 2013, I wasn’t sure how my life would change over the coming years.  I didn’t know what to expect and every time I looked at my map I wondered where in the World I would end up.  The unknown intrigued me.  Now, as a volunteer in Namibia, I know my approximate geographical location for the next 27 months but my curiosity has been amplified rather than satisfied.  Everyday is new, which can be exciting or terrifying depending on how you look at it.  It is for this reason that I decided to enter the blogosphere.  I hope this can be a medium of exchange for me to share my experiences and the culture of Namibia with all of you.  I will consider my blog a success if it can bring a smile to your face, a tear to your eye, or inspire you to do something for another.  This blog will allow me to reflect on my days and share stories with my family and friends that I wish could be apart of each day.  I also encourage everyone to comment on my posts and/or email me with feedback, stories, and updates on your life.  I will miss babies being born, children growing tall, and friends getting married so keep me updated. 

As part of my first blog post I want to give some background information for those in need.  I am a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) in the country of Namibia.  On July 23rd, 2014 I arrived in Okahandja along with 48 other volunteers from the United States.  Each of us will be staying with a local host family in Okahandja for the duration of our training.  We now total 50 volunteers in training after acquiring a PCV who was evacuated from Kenya and reassigned to Namibia.  Peace Corps Namibia Group 40 consists of 1 health, 17 business, and 32 education volunteers.  We all look to be officially sworn in as PCVs on September 25th.  At that time we will depart to our permanent site locations for our 24 months of service.  


Namibia is an extremely diverse country.  English has been the official language since independence in 1990 but a variety of native languages remain extremely relevant throughout the country.  Young learners are still educated in their native tongue to a certain age and the older generations still primarily rely on their native language to communicate.  Peace Corps Namibia trains volunteers in one of seven languages depending on the region in which they will serve.  I will go into more depth about my program, assigned language, and host family in future posts.


Yes, the name of my blog is “An Appel A Day” but that does not mean I will post on a daily basis or even close to that.  It is simply a saying that I hope you all understand.  Expect maybe two posts per month and hopefully I can over deliver.  In other words, have high aspirations and low expectations (first KFAN reference – check).  Also, I have never blogged before so this will be a learning process for me.  Keep your criticism constructive and your comments common.  That’s all for today but the blog has clearance, Clarence. Rodger, Rodger.

Dan

Created on: 8/6/14

Photo Gallery

Disclaimer: The content of this website is mine alone and does not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Government, the Peace Corps, or the Namibian Government. 



1 comment:

  1. Looks Great Brother! I think you should write a book. :-) Congrats on getting your blog going....what a great way for us to see whats really going on through your eyes. Love, your favorite older Sis

    ReplyDelete